Sunday, February 2, 2014

I can be a vegetarian, I love vegetables

One faithful Tuesday afternoon, I became a vegetarian. 

Junior year of college I took the class "Healthy Living". We were exposed to articles, books, and documentaries about healthy lifestyle choices. It was not until we watched "Food Inc." that I made an important connection to food: where it comes from and what it is I am putting into my body. After 50 minutes of tears I decided to become a vegetarian. I quit eating meat, cold turkey! 

I have never been the type of person to push my beliefs and lifestyles onto others. Becoming a vegetarian was no different. However, I have noticed when I tell people I am a vegetarian, they feel the necessary need to explain their life choices to me. To be honest, I don't care if you eat meat or not, I promise I will not loose sleep over it. In fact, more times than not, I have encountered the ever famous line "I could do that, I only eat chicken anyway" (sorry, but chicken is considered "meat) or my personal favorite, "oh I love vegetables, I could be a vegetarian if I wanted to". 

I am curious as to why people act oddly when I tell them I am a vegetarian. It is simply a lifestyle diet. I have never heard anyone say "Oh I could totally be lactose intolerant...? 

No comments:

Post a Comment